Friday, June 26, 2009

Scary Llama!

Just because I used an expression from my late-80s, art-school days as a title, I've really got to link to the Wikipedia page for llama. I love the picture at the top!

Anyhow, I just ran into the Wikipedia page for the United States of America. For a large part of the world population, this is an important page, and I wonder how many people have consulted it, looking for answers. There's so much there and so much missing. I love my country, but I recognize that we're one of world history's most brutal empires, and that we hold unprecedented power.

I admit that I shed a few tears at the mention 0f 9-11. And the picture of the Rotunda at UVA. That's where my second ex wife is getting her PhD right now. She just has her dissertation left. I won't even mess with the personal/national continuum.

Oh, and pictures of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr always make me cry. And President Barack Obama. And... and... and every other generalization and picture.

Fortunately, there's that map at the top, showing only those parts of the world that are recognized as states of the USA, ignoring possessions, US-controlled regimes, and the overwhelmingly vast sphere of corporate control. I'm reminded that there are two Americas: the one constructed by my own country's propaganda, and the ugly fact of life that affects billions of people right now. This is an American page, after all,and I know of no country that freely criticizes itself.

I may identify most strongly with anarchist ideals, although I consider myself truly liberal in that I accept what seems like the substance of any ideology, but I refuse to suppress a deep streak of national sentiment. Only moralists repress vital parts of themselves for the sake of ideals, and moralism is something I will never accept. I refuse to place any portion of cultural production under the heading of entartete Kunst. Free speech is one of the truly good achievements of my country, even though it's always under fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment